Logo
RGV.me
I know that most of you are not aware of this and might be shocked by this, but I know that, like me, some of you remember this. My dad and my mom were talking about this assassination that occurred on July 11, 1968, in McAllen. Apparently, it had some mob connections. I was later to find out also some connections to a famous person in Hollywood.

Records show that Jimmy Horn, a bookkeeper, was walking into Wyatt's Cafeteria in McAllen when he noticed his boss, Sam Degelia, Jr., along with his business partner, Pete Scamardo. The records indicate that Horn asked them to join him for dinner, but Degelia told him he was waiting for some men regarding a business deal. Horn was going to be the last person to see Degelia alive, who was not involved in his death.

Later that evening, Degelia was picked up by Charles Voyde Harrelson and Jerry O'Brien Watkins. By this time, Scamardo, Degelia's partner, was facing financial difficulties, and since Harrelson owed him money from some heroin that Harrelson had lost, Scamardo said he would pay Harrelson $2,000 to kill Degelia. Scamardo stood to collect $100,000 in insurance money upon Degelia's death. Harrelson was a mob hitman who later assassinated a federal judge in San Antonio.

Ranger Tol Dawson conducted the investigation, and you will see photos of some of his report when he recovered the murder weapon on 2nd Street. The longest report was the confession he got from Jerry Watkins who detailed how they drove on South Depot Road (23rd Street) in McAllen with Sam Degelia to a shack and that was where Harrelson killed him. That report is too lengthy to include here.

Charles Harrelson was the father of actor Woody Harrelson of Cheers fame.
-via Ruben G Flores
1 yr. ago

No replies yet!

It seems that this publication does not yet have any comments. In order to respond to this publication from RGV.me , click on at the bottom under it